How to make kick-ass fruit pudding in 10 easy steps!

Making a great fruit pudding isn’t complicated – it just takes some dedication and time. Here’s how to do my version:

WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

– 1 Yogurt                               – At least three different fruits of your choice

– 1 cup flour                           – 1 cup extra virgin olive oil

–  Baking powder                   – Baking Soda

– 1 liter Milk                           – 1 box of flan powder

 

HOW TO DO IT:

STEP 1 – This is a big step, but easy nonetheless. You have to make a bizcocho (sponge cake). Extremely easy: take a yogurt (preferably lemon), and using that as a measuring cup, mix the yogurt, 1 measure of oil, 3 measures of flour, 3 eggs, baking powder+soda and a teaspoon of vinegar (no need for sugar since later steps will make it sweet, if you make bizcocho to eat it as is, use 2 measures of sugar). Heat in the oven at 350F for 40 min, let cool for about 1h. You could always buy the sponge cake in the store, but what’s the fun in that?

STEP 2 – DESTROY! Finely crumble your bizcocho (you’ll need about 80% of it, which leaves you 20% for delicious breakfast tomorrow!

STEP 3 – Chop a delicious mix of fruits that you’d like to include with your fruit pudding. I tend to use strawberries, bananas and blueberries, but there’s many things you can use here – even grapes, passion fruit, etc…

STEP 4 – Now you have to make layers on the container where you want the pudding made. The 1st layer is the most important as it will be visibly on top when the pudding is done (for example, I screwed up here with the strawberries, I should have flipped them so they show the outter texture when it’s done).

STEP 5 – Fill the fruit layer with bizcocho crumbs, completely cover it with a fine layer of crumbs until you can no longer see fruit (don’t make it too thick, you want as many layers of fruit/crumbs as possible).

STEP 5a – OK yes I know, I’m sort of cheating to make this 10 steps, but bear with me – the following really are part of the fifth step. Make another layer of fruit slices. Change the positions of fruits so that all layers don’t have fruit in the same place, this will give your pudding variety and structural weaknesses will be evenly divided throughout the whole thing (the crumbs are what hold this structure together so you never want too much fruit in contact).

STEP 5b – Another fine layer of crumbs, another layer of fruit in different layout.

STEP 5c – final layer of crumbs and fruits. I managed to do 4 layers of each in this container.

STEP 5d – The final layer is always crumbs, be sure to cover everything so that there is a strong base at the bottom once you flip this around.

STEP 6 – Prepare some flan (1 liter/4 cups of milk + powder flan you can get at the store) and once it’s mixed and hot in your pan, slowly, gently pour it into the layers of fruit/crumbs. Make sure you get everything completely soaking wet, basically fill the container with flan.

STEP 7 – With a spatula or whatever you can find, press lightly on the whole surface to make sure the crumbs move a little bit and allow the flan to fully penetrate the whole structure, leaving no dry parts at the bottom (which will be the top once finished).

STEP 8 – Add the caramel so that it stays in the base. I like to add it at the end so that it will stay at the base, but nothing’s stopping you from using it before the 1st layer of fruit or as an internal layer. Be imaginative!

STEP 9 – Let it cool in the fridge for about 6h at the least. Be sure to put some paper underneath in case anything spills out, you don’t want to make a mess inside the fridge. Also, depending on the size of your container, you might have extra flan left! Yum.

STEP 10 – Do your dishes after you’re done! Nobody likes a messy kitchen.

RESULT – Fruit pudding! This is a good showcase of why you need to make sure the flan soaks all the crumbs: in this case, I did not move it around enough and the flan didn’t quite fully get to the bottom, so the upper part didn’t get full texture and crumbled somewhat. It’s still a delicious dessert though!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s